A deeply gorgeous guitar, where even the varnish checking seen at the top near the front lends a classy mystique that’s totally in keeping with the instrument.
It’s all original and very clean. The chrome on the zig-zag tailpiece is perfect, as are the green Kluson double-ring tuners. Even the case is spot-on. When you turn it over you see that it must have been stored on a thick nylon strap or something, which has left a mark in the gloss of the finish. It would be possible to remove it as it’s only damaged the gloss and not the colour beneath, but we feel the original condition is still best.
When you plug it in and play it though, everything about this instrument makes sense. The single humbucker has an earthier sound than the double, and was favoured by the likes of Herb Ellis. Of course, the 175 has always been a popular model, and they are hard to find these days. Played by Steve Howe, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Pat Metheny and Kenny Burrell. Truly a great guitar!
- Arched maple top with f-holes, maple back
- Black and ivoroid binding body
- Maple sides and neck
- One piece mahogany neck
- Black pickguard w/ beveled edge
- Neck joins at 14th fret, 20 fret fingerboard, 1 5/8″ width at nut
- 16½” wide, 3 3/8″ deep, 24¾” scale
- Rosewood fingerboard with pearl double trapezoid inlays
- Adjustable compensated rosewood bridge
- Chrome zig-zag trapeze tailpiece
- Kluson Deluxe tuners
- Gold reflector cap volume and tone knobs
- Single humbucking pickup
- Sunburst finish
- Original plush lined case